This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
This is a super easy weeknight dinner packed with tons of flavor yet only 10 ingredients! Also easily make a 2nd batch to throw in the freezer for later – with hardly any more effort! Paleo, Whole30, and AIP friendly
It's no secret that sheet pan meals can be a really simple way to make a meal without much effort. That's why I try to include them in our meal plan at least 2 times a week, and why I keep coming up with ideas for them here.
This Italian Sheet Pan Supper is a meal we've been eating for several years now and my family asks for it often. It's packed with flavor from the Italian seasoning, and as most sheet pan meals go, a main dish and side all in one.
The best part with this meal though is that it makes a perfect “dump-and-go” freezer meal – so my suggestion is to make one for tonight, but instead of just making one, prep 2x the ingredients and throw the other half into a freezer bag to freeze for later!
Two dinners with hardly any extra effort! (And get a printable label for the freezer bag below)
Rather watch this?
Check out this video where I demonstrate how I made this meal + one for later!
Ingredients in this sheet pan meal (and substitutions)
- boneless, skinless Chicken Thighs– I personally love thighs for this as they are much more forgiving (as in they don't overcook as easily) and taste better, but chicken breasts are fine as well
- Asparagus– a quick-cooking vegetable that pairs nicely with the flavors in this dish
- Onion – Because this onion will be cooked, it doesn't matter too much what type you use. I use a Yellow onion, but if you only have a white or red on hand, use those!
- Baby Bella or other white mushrooms – Get the pre-sliced mushrooms to make this dish super easy to throw together.
- Kalamata Olives – get pre-pitted olives to save time. You can use any olive type that you prefer, but if you're on AIP, make sure there are no pimentos or other non-AIP ingredients.
- Garlic – this is just a flavoring element – so you can omit it if you don't like it or can't tolerate it
- Avocado Oil – Any cooking oil will do here (just make sure it's compliant if you're on AIP)
- Sea Salt – to season!
- Italian Seasoning – this is the bulk of the flavor for this dish. If you're on AIP, make sure your Italian Seasoning mix doesn't have fennel seed – or any other non-compliant ingredients. Fennel is a common addition though, so be on the lookout.
- dried Basil – another flavoring element. You could theoretically use fresh basil, but I'd stick with dried for this part and if you want that pop of fresh basil flavor, add it before serving.
How to make this dinner
This meal is SUPER simple to make.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Chop up the asparagus
- Slice the onions
- Mince the garlic
- dice the chicken
- Throw all of those plus some pre-sliced mushrooms, kalamata olives, Italian Seasoning, sea salt, and dried basil onto a sheet pan and toss to mix!
- Put the sheet pan into the oven and bake for 30 minutes (or until the chicken is done)
- Optional: chop, slice, mince, and dice double of all of the ingredients and just put half into a freezer-safe container or bag and freeze for later!
Making this sheet pan meal ahead of time
This meal is a meal prep star!
You have quite a few choices on how to make this:
- Make it tonight, for tonight's dinner
- prep and mix everything, but make it later in the week
- prep and mix everything in a freezer-safe container or bag and freeze for later
My suggestion though is while you're making one for tonight, prep a second batch to freeze at the same time!
It hardly takes any more work, yet you get 2 dinners out of it!
If you do want to freeze one for later, here's a printable label you can put on the bag to remember what you made and how to cook it. Print it out on either label paper or on regular printer paper and adhere with clear packing tape. Freeze up to 3 months.
Want other easy Paleo and AIP sheet pan recipes? Try one of these!
Sheet Pan Coconut Chicken (Paleo, Whole30, AIP)
Bacon Ranch Chicken Sheet Pan Meal (Paleo, Whole30, AIP)
Sheet Pan Lime Shrimp Fajitas (Paleo, Whole30, AIP)
Sheet Pan Shrimp Fried Rice (Paleo, Whole30, AIP)
More Helpful Resources in the Freebie Library
If you find this recipe helpful, you may really enjoy the resources in my Paleo & AIP Freebie Library! There's a “dump” freezer meal plan, a list of AIP-compliant breakfast toppings, and so much more. Plus, you'll get even more ideas sent to your inbox! Get the password here.
Italian Sheet Pan Supper Recipe
If you make this sheet pan meal, I'd love to hear how it turned out! Either comment below or share a pic on Instagram and tag me @thrivingautoimmune!
Italian Sheet Pan Supper (Paleo, Whole30, AIP)
- 1.5 lb boneless skinless Chicken Thighs or Breasts (cut into bite-sized pieces)
- 1 bunch Asparagus (tough ends removed and chopped into 1-inch pieces)
- 1 medium Onion (sliced)
- 8 oz Baby Bella or other white mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 cup Kalamata Olives (pitted and sliced)
- 2 cloves Garlic (minced)
- 2 tbsp Avocado Oil
- 1 tsp Sea Salt
- 2 tsp Italian Seasoning
- 1 tsp dried Basil
- Preheat the oven to 375 F.
- Slice, dice, and mince the ingredients as indicated and then place them on a sheet pan.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the chicken is done.
- Put all of the ingredients into a gallon-sized freezer bag or other freezer-safe container and massage a bit to mix.
- Label the bag and lay flat to freeze.
- When you're ready to eat the meal, thaw the bag overnight in the fridge.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F. Pour the contents of the bag onto a parchment-lined sheet pan and bake for 30 minutes or until the chicken is done.